GraceCrossing Ministry on Valentines Day
| || |
GraceCrossing Community Church Community Outreach
Our Valentine’s outreach into the Phoenixville Community was a huge success in my book! We were able to reach 14 residents, 12 of which have never been reached by GraceCrossing Community Church before. Our mission was to spread love into the Phoenixville Community, knowing so many people have had such a hard year, with no strings attached. We put out Facebook posts on community pages asking people to let us know someone who could use some love on Valentine's day. They would receive homemade, but super beautiful, Valentine’s Day cards and homemade decorated Valentine’s cookies in a heart shape.
All drop-offs were contactless and safe! I included a business card in the envelope so they would know where it came from if they had any questions. Could freak people out to find an unexpected gift on their doorstep. I did have one person text thanking me with big thanks for doing this, it meant so much to her. One person also contacted to ask who nominated her, she was so touched by the thought and thanked us.
Here are some of the people nominated by the community:
- A single mom and 3 kids, the oldest 4 the youngest is an infant. Valentine’s day was also one of the kid's birthday’s and the father of the kids just walked out on the family. So, this was a particularly difficult time for mom and kids. We made a special Valentine’s Birthday card for the child whose birthday it was and included a little something special. Mom and the other 2 children also received a card and cookies.
- An elderly lady who’s husband had just passed away from COVID a week earlier. She came out as the drop-off was being made to say thank you and waved and smiled!
- Two other elderly ladies who have been isolated for almost a year and really needed some love and to know someone cares. They live alone and it has been particularly difficult.
- All 3 of these ladies are neighbors and friends. All are alone and only one has a living spouse who is in a memory care facility that she cannot visit.
- An elementary teacher who, as you can imagine, has had quite a year and really needed a selfless gift of love and appreciation.
- A woman who lives near our church who is living alone recently had to put her dog down and that was her only company.
- A lady with cancer and on oxygen and her daughter who is caring for her and is a single working mom.
Several were submitted without any background info, just an address, and name. But, I’m sure those people were blessed also by getting a little bit of love without expectation of anything!
We even had a lady from the community volunteer to help deliver these bags in the community. That was a blessing for sure!
GraceCrossing Community Church Member Outreach
We also prepared, packaged, and delivered 90 valentines to-go meals, cookies, and cards to those shut-in or sheltering in place due to covid. Those who attended in-person worship on Sunday, February 14 took their to-go meals as they left after the service, along with a bag of cookies and a card!
We received many texts, emails, and in-person thanks from members for this special valentines day meal and treats. It was appreciated and delicious!
What we’ve decided is that for every special event we do, it will include a community outreach in some way. We must always be thinking about those out there who do not know what God’s love really is and there is no better way to show them than to be that love. Many GCCC hands and feet made this all possible and everyone felt good who participated or received a blessing. That is what the church is!
Categories: Ministries, General, Region Life ~ Date: 2/27/2021