ABHMS Scholarships & Special Projects Coordinator
For more than 190 years, American Baptist Home Mission Societies has answered God’s call to meet the needs of those living on the margins. The ministries we support across the United States and Puerto Rico transform and heal communities dealing with poverty, disaster and crisis. American Baptist Home Mission Societies (abhms.org)
Essential Purpose of the Position
The Scholarships & Special Projects Coordinator is part of the Leadership Empowerment Team and serves as the primary contact for processing applications for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education scholarships. The Scholarships & Special Projects Coordinator is also responsible for ushering applicants through the chaplaincy endorsement process.
- Oversee the administrative activities of the scholarships and special projects (such as the endorsement program and other scholarship grant initiatives).
- Manage the day-to-day tasks and relational communications that keep these scholarships and projects running smoothly.
- Daily communication with individuals to ensure timely and accurate processing of applications.
The Scholarships & Special Projects Coordinator collaborates with the Ecclesiastical Endorser and the Emerging Leaders National Coordinator to ensure smooth processing of relevant applications. The position reports to the Director of Leadership Empowerment. This is a full-time exempt position and is available immediately. The successful candidate will be able to commute, on a daily basis, to the Leadership & Mission Building (LAMB) which houses the corporate offices of ABHMS.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the day-to-day operations for the various scholarships and special projects applications.
- Respond to applicant inquiries (email, phone, application portal) in timely fashion.
- Maintain accurate data on all applicants and communicate application decisions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure compliance with defined procedures and requirements while recommending improvements for application processes as needed.
- Follow established protocols to determine CEU (continuing education unit) credits for appropriate and approved educational initiatives.
- Participate in unit meetings as assigned. This may include occasional meetings with Endorsement Committee and/or scholarship review groups.
- Ensure approved scholarships are distributed to appropriate institution. This process in conducted in collaboration with the finance unit.
- Ensure database is up-to-date and accurate.
- Collaborate with internal units as needed (for example, communications unit to ensure website and other related materials are accurate and current; IT unit to troubleshoot).
- Process, in an accurate and timely fashion, receipts/vouchers/disbursements for scholarships and endorsements.
- Provide occasional administrative assistance to LET unit members as a back-up to the LET Program Coordinator.
- Other relevant duties, as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Education & Experience
- Appreciation for the mission, vision, values, and goals of ABHMS. To be successful in this role, the individual must understand the organization’s mission and values and work diligently to make a positive impact on advancing that mission.
- A passion for students and ministry professionals and a desire to help them achieve their academic and/or professional goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, communications, business, project management or other relevant studies.
- Minimum of 2 years administrative experience in a corporate context, a religious non-profit or an advocacy organization.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and analytical skills.
- Critical thinking and decision-making capabilities.
- Detail-oriented with a strong professional ethic and sensitivity to confidentiality and accuracy.
- Demonstrable customer service skills and professional hospitality in all aspects of customer and constituency interaction.
- A curious, resourceful and self-motivated individual with an ability to work alone, as well as collaboratively and in teams.
- Competency working in a large faith-based setting where cultural and gender diversity are greatly valued.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Sharepoint and PPT).
- Project management experience a plus.
- Salesforce or comparable CRM knowledge a plus.
- Familiarity with Smartsheets, Formstack or Zoom a plus.
- Ability and commitment to continuous learning and able to adapt to a changing environment based on ministry trends.
- Able to occasionally work an irregular schedule, evenings or weekends; and travel to key events. Able to commute daily to ABHMS corporate offices in King of Prussia, Pa.
ABHMS is a great company to work for and is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our total rewards package includes excellent salary and a generous selection of benefits: comprehensive health insurance (medical, vision, Rx and dental), a generous amount of paid vacation and holidays and paid sick time, plus employer-provided funds into a fully-vested 403b). We offer a safe, professional work environment located at the Leadership & Mission Building, 1075 1st Avenue in King of Prussia, PA.
This is full-time position and is open immediately. If interested, please send the following information as soon as possible:
A Cover Letter and Current Resumé (Doc or Docx format) to HRMatters@abhms.org
The American Baptist Home Mission Societies is an equal opportunity employer.